Old November 16th 04, 12:06 AM
John Charles

Mary Shafer wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:43:55 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

John Charles wrote:

... My questions is: how
did they launch the piloted Gemini-Rogallo test vehicle for its glide
landings?

They towed it aloft behind the Pontiac convertible they used for the

lifting bodies.

Mary, thanks, but I think you are referring to the Parasev test
vehicle built by Milt Thompson and NASA out of odds and ends at
Edwards. Later, North American Aviation actually built an inflatable
Rogallo wing (of the same configuration that was intended for Gemini
landings) and attached it to a Gemini boilerplate capsule, and had a
test pilot (sometimes it was Jack Swigert, before he went to NASA) fly
and land it.

THAT is somehing I have read about and imagined, but would love to see
the footage!

John Charles
Houston, Texas