Old May 4th 16, 08:42 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Is there a...

Remember when Brian Gaff bragged outrageously? That was Tuesday:
low bit rate (sounds a bit like RTTY) transmitter on the ISS on around
149.9xx Mhz? I ask as there is definitely such a transmission and though I've
not checked the times exactly it seems to be around the times one would
expect to be in range of the station from the UK.
The doppler shift variation is very large and very hard to keep in tune
manually.
Its obviously in quite a low Earth orbit as this kind of doppler effect does
not happen on spacecraft up where the weather sats are on 137Mhz.
Its also an unusual freqency to use, often these tend to be russian in
origin from memory.
Brian

That's a bit high for the amateur band transmitters; IIRC, those are on
low band (143/144 MHz). On ISS (and on the Shuttle) those are usually
used for voice contacts, often coordinated with volunteers visiting a
school.

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler