Old January 20th 11, 10:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written
Giga2[_2_]

Default Once and for all...are humans or robots better for Mars?

"Jonathan" wrote in message

I see some NASA talking heads are out pushing a manned trip
to Mars yet again.

This debate isn't even close.

Would you agree that getting people there must be the *ultimate* goal? Or
else what is the point of exploring at all? So isn't more a question of
timing rather than which is better? How quickly should we go about getting
the first people to Mars? My answer would be the same as NASA's I think, as
soon as possible and practical. It is already technological feasable AFAIK.
So it is just a question of the practical requirements, or more specifically
the money. That is a political decision but NASA should be pushing for it.
Whether the time is quite right is another matter.