Old September 2nd 07, 04:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,alt.astronomy,rec.radio.amateur.space,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

Default What is the highest radio frequency used for radio astronomy?

On Aug 31, 6:44 am, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:13:05 GMT, (Paul Schlyter) wrote:
That's a little illogical. It's like considering a frequency slightly
above 300 kHz to belong to "the Megahertz band" ....

No, it's _more_ logical. It's having arbitrary names for various regions
of the EM spectrum that isn't entirely logical.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatoryhttp://www.cloudbait.com

Most all ET signals are processed by some kind of technology, so that
we can then see or hear the information contained within that signal.
If the signal information is encrypted or otherwise weird, then seeing
the signal is usually the better alternative.

I believe 0.1 TeraHertz of 3 mm is more than good enough, as being
roughly 10 fold higher in frequency than any X Band radar imaging
efforts sent from Earth would ever manage to contribute all that much
due to our terrestrial atmosphere and magnetosphere that'll convert
and/or divert much of that outgoing and incoming X Band energy.

However, a blue/violet laser cannon would likely become by far the
most energy efficient and focused alternative for outgoing as well as
incoming signals, especially if those efforts were getting off-world
managed, such as within the nearby turf of our moon's L1 could easily
accommodate. At least in that way an amateur terrestrial or ET
astronomer could rather easily detect such without special
instruments.

There's all kinds of nifty ways for us to hear and/or see what our
moon has to say. It's sodium populated atmosphere along with the
surface likes of radon are worth a good deal of science about solar
wind and cosmic interactions, as well as for the graviton/tidal issues
associated with having to orbit Earth as well as the sun that should
be responsible for keeping the low density core of our moon a little
extra toasty, as a renewable geothermal cache of energy that could
essentially accommodate a fairly extensive underground protected human
use of our moon.
- Brad Guth