Old July 20th 04, 02:47 PM
Greg Neill

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Yoda" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
Can someone please explain why atomic weapons were tested on the Van
Allen Belts, and what effects it had and what effects we will see in the
future the overall results such actions will have for the long term
survival of the human race? Explain what that type of 'science' hoped
to accomplish? Serious replies only, please.

As I understand it, the weapons were not test ON the Van Allen belts, but
were detonated in space to examine the theory of creating artificial Van
Allen belts. The idea was that if you created such a belt over the US
temporarily, maybe the radiation would cause all incoming ICBM's to be

fried
and fall harmlessly into the atmosphere. The tests failed. The theory was
incorrect.

I think "Yoda" is confusing the SF Movie, "Voyage to the
Bottom of the Sea" with reality.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue64/classic.html

Not surprising, really.