Old April 19th 17, 11:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SLS launches likely delayed

In article m,
says...

Reality check question:

If you spend X energy from low Earth altitude/orbit to Moon orbit, does
Oberth effect claim you will get a value of energy greater than X
falling back from Moon to low earth altitude?

If you don't leave the earth/moon system, I don't think there is a "free
lunch" to be had here. In order for the Oberth effect to be present,
you have to do a parabolic fly-by maneuver. As in your velocity is
higher than escape going in and much higher than escape when going out.
The extra velocity you gain is "stolen" from the planet which you fly-
by. No fly-by, no Oberth effect.

Jeff