Old March 23rd 13, 12:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Default Asteroid impact question

So now we all know that the next time you see an extremely bright
fireball, get away from the windows, and hide under the bed and
wait for the bang.

However it strikes me that what Chelyabinsk had was a 'glancing'
impact. A couple of hundred miles further out and it would have
just sailed past.

Which raises some questions:

If an asteroid hits the outer atmosphere, does the drag draw
it *in*, or does the pressure wave push it *out*?

Secondly, if the Chelyabinsk object had come in vertically, at
what height would it have exploded?

I'm guessing that for the first, drag wins. On the second,
that the thing was moving so fast that it would have been
near to or at ground level.