Old July 3rd 17, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

In article ,
says...
Arm waving nonsense.

You need multiple 3D printers if you need to print with multiple materials.

Consumer 3D printers print small parts from cheap plastic and cost hundreds
of dollars.

Industrial 3D printers that print large parts with metals cost hundreds of
thousands of dollars and the printing material costs more than raw metal
stock.

3D printing is advantageous for parts with complex shapes that are difficult
or impossible to make with other techniques but is disadvantageous for
most parts that ARE manufacturable with conventional techniques as they
can be made faster and cheaper.

3D printing makes PARTS that still need to be assembled.

3D printing an electric motor is just silly.

I'm generally in agreement with all of the above. That motor which was
3D printed is a toy. That toy motor is far simpler than a stepper
motor, so any thought of 3D printers printing other 3D printers is just
a fantasy at this point.

Today's "state of the art" of 3D printing does not make it a panacea for
manufacturing. Furthermore, 3D printing with locally produced (non-
earth) materials is decades away.

But progress is being made in the field. GE is working on producing a
3D printer capable of printing 1 meter x 1 meter x 1 meter parts. This
is coming from its aircraft engine division. 3D printing is a very hot
topic these days.

Jeff