Old November 19th 18, 02:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX gets FCC approval to deploy thousands more internet satellites

In article ,
says...

On 2018-11-18 17:07, Fred J. McCall wrote:

No.

So, I take it the satellites will all be attached to BFR which will
progressively release each one, fire engines, release another etc etc
and then BFR returns to earth, complete with the array that
held/launched the satellites ?

I there is no disposable sateg 2, how else could this be done? please
explain.

BFR is a fully reusable TSTO. The second stage is often called BFS.
The cargo version of BFS will have a large payload bay . Once in orbit,
the payload bay door(s) will open and the satellites will be released in
sequence just like Iridium satellites are released from a Falcon 9 upper
stage. Just like Iridium, the satellites will take care of placing
themselves along the desired final orbit since they each have their own
propulsion system.

You seem very confused about both the architecture of the internet

and
the intended architecture of Starlink.

Your attacks are expected sicne that is all you do.

Vurt if YOU understood how the Internet current works and where the
largest generator of traffics are setup and where you'd understand that
you can't put a groiund station anywhere. Piutting a ground station in
Ialquit to serve satellites over the eastern arctic won't do you any
good because it has no ground links to the Internet.

I don't understand your point. Since it's a global satellite network,
you put the ground terminals exactly where they're needed. Clearly the
end users of Starlink will have ground terminals. The ground terminals
that connect to the existing Internet infrastructure will be placed
where they are needed. These aren't really huge "ground stations".

They did recently string fibre ovr the Mackenzie Valley to Inuvik in the
western arctic. And they are already building new satellite groun
stations near Inuvik's airport to get a "view" of satellites whole
current position doesn't give contac with other north american ground
stations.

Starlink is a network of LEO satellites pretty much all around the
globe. End users will mount a pizza box phased array antenna outside
and point it pretty much straight up at the sky. No need to point
exactly at a satellite, because they're all moving anyway! That's the
point of the phased array antennas on both the satellites and the ground
terminals.

Why do you think that? Ground stations are just ordinary ISP server
farms with some antennae.

See above. If you limit ground stations to places that have existing
peering/local presence of the large information providers, then those
ground stations will end up having to carry far more capacity then the
allocated spectrum allows.

Again, this is a global LEO satellite network. SpaceX could put their
ground stations closest to where the major data sources are in order to
minimize latency and dependence on the existing Internet backbones. If
YouTube has a server farm in California, you can stick a "ground
station" there. Same goes for any major server.

Because BFR/BFS will be a fully reusable system it will be
preposterously cheap compared to any system (including Falcon 9) in
use today.

Cheaper than "extremely expensive" is still very expensive.

Again, you have no idea what Starlink's pricing will be.

But we do know what SpaceX's pricing for Falcon 9 is. It's far below
the global competition. And that price is set to make them money on
every launch. When they're launching their own satellites, they just
have to pay the actual cost of the launch, which is less.

Again, BFR/BFS will be even cheaper to operate due to its full
reusability. Starlink will get those launches at cost too. They'll be
far cheaper than launches for any other LEO network. That's the power
of vertical integration. No other LEO satellite network will have this
advantage (as far as I know).

Jeff