Old September 28th 17, 09:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA is teaming up with Russia to put a new space station near the moon. Here's why.

In article . com,
says...

On 2017-09-28 14:28,
wrote:

Considering all the problems we've had with building and maintaining an earth-
orbiting space station, how likely is this to succeed?

Does the technlogy exist to make the needed shielding for long term
stays this high up?

The technology is materials like water and polyethylene.

How different would that station be from the ISS (apart from shielding)?

Much smaller.

From a communicatiosn point of view, would that require NASA re-open
long range satelite dishes around the earth so that it could maintain
decent comms with the moon station? (do TDRS satellites have outward
facing antennas ?)

The DSN has been maintained for "deep space probes", so I don't think
this is a big issue.

The big issue is funding. This "agreement" is kind of like a memorandum
of understanding. The US Congress has not allocated funding for this
venture, aside from a pittance to study a HAB module which would be
applicable.

Jeff