Old April 12th 04, 08:30 PM
Bob May

Default M51, M101, M57 in small binoculars

M101 really needs low power to bring it out of the sourounding field well so
the binocs are an excellent way to see that object.
M51 is also nicely viewable with binocs although the small size of them will
make out little detail.
M57 really needs about 20x to see it as a ring although it is bright enough
to be seen as a stellar object at lower magnifications.
I enjoy showing people M101 with my 15x80 binocs along with the rectangular
box of stars that is near it.
I've seen M57 as a tiny ring in 20x binocs but not in my 15x ones. The
nebula is just a fuzzy starlike object in them.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.