Old December 6th 18, 10:51 PM posted to sci.astro
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default negative masses?

On 06/12/2018 19:49, dlzc wrote:
Dear Jan Panteltje:

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:39:37 AM UTC-7, Jan Panteltje
wrote:
negative masses?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1205093716.htm
Bringing balance to the universe: New theory could explain missing
95 percent of the cosmos

paper is he http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/0004-63

Not sure what to make of it...

Would be fun. creating negative mas sin the lab? Propulsion?

:-)

Is crap, it seems to me. Scientists name in arxiv.org bring up a
single-author paper in 2017. He has published on arxiv since, but
never on this topic. Any black hole terminates all the fun.

It was accepted for A&A' so it has survived peer review.

I can't quite get my head round it yet but somehow the creation of a
negative mass fluid to fill an expanding universe feels wrong somehow.
But that might just be my old school prejudice showing.

Having said that the idea seems to fit the data, has an appealing
symmetry and is a testable hypothesis so time will tell whether or not
it pans out when tested. The author has a credible pedigree.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.07962

Is the version on Arxiv. The author is more usually associated with
observational astronomy and the square kilometre array eg.

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript...15/v2/download

I wouldn't be too quick to condemn it as junk. Even if it is wrong it is
still an interesting new (actually old and revisited) take on lambdaCDM.

I have asked for opinions about it on sci.astro.research in the thread
on "dark matter hypothesis" but it is awaiting moderator approval.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown