Old February 16th 18, 12:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX pricing

In article ,
says...
I know it's bad form to reply to oneself, but another thought came up:
Again, Vulcan's plan for heavier payloads is "MOAH SRBs!"

Again, added complexity and supporting multiple configurations. A more
complex system.

I really don't think ULA gets it.

And they don't really have to. Vulcan will stick around and get
flights almost regardless of costs simply because DoD doesn't like
having all their eggs in a single basket.

That's why I'm really hoping that New Glenn is successful. If Blue
Origin can finally start flying orbital missions with New Glenn, they
can move on to New Armstrong development.

There is already speculation as to who would buy ULA if the parent
companies decided to call it quits. Their LOX/LH2 upper stage
technology is by far the best in the US industry and would make a nice
starting point for a LEO LOX/LH2 fuel depot. Blue Origin may not want
them because they already have a LOX/LH2 engine, but the devil is in the
details. For DOD missions with long coasting periods for the upper
stage, they'll need low boil off tanks, which they've not yet
demonstrated in flight.

Jeff