Old November 8th 03, 06:50 PM
Al Jackson

Default Von Braun rockets on Encyclopedia Astronautica

Scott Lowther wrote in message ...
P.S. Sadly, Mark Wade is continuing the mythology that the A-9/A-10 ICBM
was to be manned. Bah!

More on this. It seems von Braun mentioned a piloted A9 in his Army
Ordnance report in 1945, most of which was republished in:

"Survey of Development of Liquid Rockets in Germany and Their Future
Prospects," Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, Vol. 10,
No. 2, Mar. 1951, pp. 75-80.

I can't really see why he would invent some mythology about a piloted
A9, even if it was just on paper ... but then I can't find any hard
reference either.

Curious thing , in Michael Neufeld's book The Rocket and the Reich, he
makes reference to the fact that the A9, A10 , A9/A10, A11, .. this
stuff was researched early on ,like 1941, the German memos are at the
National Air and Space Museum. Then work was suspended, then revived
again in 44 and 45, to late to really do anything.
So in a way it kind of remains a mystery, the paper trail in my
collection of books about German A-weapon development leads to wish I
could look at the archival material mention by Neufeld in his book.