Old February 20th 08, 06:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

Default 80's style Stations Modules...

On Feb 20, 1:02 pm, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:03:04 -0500, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

If the Japanese HTV flies, it has a CBM at one end and has room for 8
racks
inside its pressurized compartment. If the COTS program is successful,
we
may very well see NASA launching racks to ISS using whatever vehicle
wins.

Such is the case with Orbital's Cygnus, which was awarded a NASA
contract today. It also will use the MPLM design.

I've been sick with a nasty cold for more than a week, so I'm not as up to
date on these developments as I'd like to be. I'm going to have to play
catch up here...

http://www.orbital.com/AdvancedSpace/COTS/index.shtml

There isn't a whole lot of information here. In particular, is this
system entirely throw-away, or is there a reentry vehicle? If there is a
reentry vehicle, is any returned component reused?

From the "artist's rendering" this thing looks like it's completely
disposable. How disappointing.

Actually, an article at NASASpaceflight.com says that it "will be able to
return 1,200 kg of cargo from the ISS to Earth". That's encouraging, but it
doesn't sound like a whole lot of down mass per mission.

Personally I'd like to see SpaceX's Dragon pan out and start flying. The
"growth option" to a manned capsule is very appealing.

Jeff
--

It isn't "per" mission. The return vehicle is different from the MPLM
carrier and has less up mass. Down mass is for experiment samples and