Old May 24th 06, 02:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Default ...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

In article v,
Bill Higgins wrote:
The ace infrastructure people at Fermilab have, during a maintenance
shutdown several weeks long, been doing battle with the dreaded zebra
mussel. An April report indicated that divers had already removed 8000
pounds of the critters from our water systems...

Ah yes, those things. I'm on the Public Advisory Committee of Toronto's
main water plant, which draws from intakes offshore in Lake Ontario. A
few years back, during a maintenance shutdown, chlorine lines were run out
along the intake pipes, so that some chlorine can be injected right at the
intakes. This has nothing to do with disinfection, in the public-health
sense; it's to keep the damn zebra mussels out of the pipes.