Old November 12th 03, 06:47 PM
dave schneider

Default Moon base or ISS? I say take your pick

Dale wrote:
[responding to (Abdul Ahad)]
Adapting the ISS modules for use in a future Moon base on the other
hand seems logically a sounder option, in my view.

But they weren't designed to be a moon base. Why divert/waste money
on doing that, rather than just using them for what they were intended
for, then developing an actual moon base from the start, should the
funding ever become available? If ISS is a bad thing now, why throw good
money after bad trying to turn it into something it was never meant to
be, and would probably fail miserably at?

As Jorge pointed out, you have difficulty in moving them, and
difficulty with landing them. Even if you accomplish that, the
internal layout is all wrong for a surface-gravity environment
(somethings will be pointing the wrong way) and some of the equipment
may be limited in function under even 1/6G conditions (I know, it was
all tested in a 1G environment, but the mitigation of the 1G may have
required as much work as designing 1/6G stuff from scratch).

/dps