Old February 21st 13, 08:45 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,alt.religion
casey

Default Ethics & The Future of Brain Research

On Feb 22, 3:21*am, Dare wrote:
[...]
What does it mean to be "me"?

Something that would be good for science to answer.

If you found yourself in heaven with a heavenly body
how would you know if it was you who lived that
physical life on Earth or if you simply had the
memories of that now dead human?

If a machine could be built to duplicate you atom
by atom the duplicate would feel as if it was the
same person you think you are based on a shared
history.

Am I the same person who went into a deep sleep
last night or do I just have that persons memories
and brain?

And so on ...

In some way my inner subjective life is the same
as yours unless you think you are the only living
entity and everyone else is a zombie that just
behaves as if they have an inner life.

The only handle on being the same person is
some kind of continuity keeping in mind the atoms
that make you up are not the same for all your
life but are like water molecules that make up
a whirlpool. They flow in and out and all that
really exists over time is a pattern. A pattern
that itself changes shape. Your skeleton for
example is turned over every 10 years.