Old April 11th 19, 08:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Israel to launch first privately funded moon mission

Israel’s Beresheet Spacecraft Moon Landing Attempt Appears to End in Crash:

"A small spacecraft that has captured the imagination and excitement of people
in Israel and around the world appears to have crashed on the moon.

“We have a failure of the spacecraft,” said Opher Doron, the general manager of
Israel Aerospace Industries’ space division, which collaborated on building the
spacecraft. The mood at the control center was somber but still celebratory..

“Well we didn't make it, but we definitely tried,” said Morris Kahn, an Israeli
telecommunications entrepreneur and president of SpaceIL, the nonprofit that
undertook the mission. “I think we can be proud.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, who attended the event at the
mission’s command center in Yehud, Israel, said, “If at first you don’t succeed,
you try again.”"

See:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/s...beresheet.html