Old July 22nd 20, 02:50 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Jupiter, 4 moons and little ones (?) visible at night fromNetherlands 50x optical zoom camera 200x digital.

Hello,

I've been seeing this big white ball of light at night. Today I saw it like for the 5th or 20th time and decided it was time to figure out what it was..

I heard about some kind of comet passing by but haven't seen it.

I figured as much it's either jupiter or a plane.

But in this case I was kinda amazed that I could also see 4 moons.

On closer inspection of one of the pictures it seems that maybe some other tinier moons are also visible at the "bottom" of jupiter ?!?

I am not sure if these are real moons or jpeg artifacts.

I think the position of jupiter, earth and the sun was such that jupiter and moons received maximum light from the sun and reflected back to earth/netherlands pretty good so it's a little bit special maybe not too special, but special enough to warrent a few fotos and some videos.

I know my camera (cannon powershot hs sx 50) also has "RAW" mode... maybe tomorrow I try again and avoid jpec compression to avoid any jpeg artificats..

Let me know your thoughts on "little ones" visible or not on that picture.

Here are the links:

Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Pictures/Jupiter/

Pictures:

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Picture...bleAnymore.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Picture...bleAnymore.JPG

I think now jupiter/earth/sun moved such that it's now less bright so won't continue the raw experiment for now, but maybe tomorrow.

Anyway enjoy the pictures. The one with the little ones visible too was taking a bit earlier than the other one... the other one kinda looks nice too.

I am quite amazed/kinda surprised that it's so visible and vieweable with a consumer camera =D

I think I have seen it before with my camera but not sure ! =D

At least now it's documented ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D