Old June 10th 08, 02:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
jonathan[_3_]

Default Big manned Mars rover concept.

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:vcSdnW_jQdF0HdrVnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

Robots are for exploring the solar system.

Manned flights are for ...exploiting...the solar system.

Let's be clear on this point. The fact that humans can
be so much more capable than robots works...against
using humans for exploring. As the most effective
space assets, from a moral point of view, must be
applied to the greatest needs.

Which are tangible improvements in the human condition.

To 'fritter away' our best and most expensive space assets
on a 'Golden Safari' is nothing less than a crime against
humanity. The search for life elsewhere is pure research.
But it's really philosophical research, or even religious, and
as such is a luxury.

Like John McCain said just the other day, he's intrigued
by the notion of men on Mars, who isn't, but according
to him NASA must do a better job of justifying the Vision.

We've been through all the arguments pro and con here
over the years. Putting men back on the moon and on
to mars....loses the debate....every time. So badly losing
the Administrator finally resorted to "Faith" that going
there will somehow all work out.

That is the weakest possible justification for our nation's
..../Largest Scientific Project/....

....Faith!!!

You gotta be kidding me!

I can only conclude that the search for life in the solar system
has evolved into some sort of religious quest for the scientific
atheists of the world. Science and religion are becoming harder
to tell apart, with 'Faith' becoming their common mantra.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, in fact I think just the opposite.
But we MUST keep our eyes on the ball.

This planet needs a new and clean energy source...and fast.

Pat