Old June 6th 08, 10:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Big manned Mars rover concept.

On Jun 5, 12:59 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

Pat

Heh. That's the one that NASA Watch was fawning over the other day.

Let me pass on the comments.

---

"That's an artists concept with little basis in reality. How do
today's virtual napkin drawings find their way onto the front page of
NASA Watch? This is no more real than a sketch of a concept car or a
model used in a "B" Hollywood space move.

A real lunar rover have engineers designing the whole thing, so form
will follow function."

Posted by: Jeff Findley at June 5, 2008 9:15 AM "

---

Editor's note: Gee Jeff, I guess the fact that this young student
showed an interest in designing vehicles for NASA - as opposed to the
traditional route i.e. Detroit or NASCAR - is lost on you. Could it be
that this young person sees a future in space? The article was
explicit in its description of what this was.

Besides, why do rovers have to look like they were designed on the
outside - as well as on the inside - by engineers any way?

---

And the comment that didn't make it past the NASA Watch censors was

"Gee, Keith. Jeff makes a valid point. I know second graders who are
interested in designing rockets for NASA. Perhaps you'll feature their
sketches too?

As to why they should look like they were designed by engineers is
beside the point. If I were going to risk my rear in exploring the
Moon, I would not be too concerned about finding a stylish rover.
Having one that looked like it was designed by someone who had a clue
about what it was supposed to do would have some attraction."

NASA Watch ... gotta love it. Let's hope it gets back to
hyperventilating about Gen-Y.