Old January 20th 07, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rick Evans[_1_]

Default How long could a man-made earth satellite stay up?

wrote in message ...
Musing....

The earth is many orders of magnitude older than the time humans - or
even mammals - have been here.

And who knows what the future may bring.

As far as I can tell, any thought that we are not the first to inhabit
this planet belong in the realm of science fiction - but we may not
last, and there could therefore be other sentients after us.

If we wished to leave a notice that we'd been here, the best place
might be in orbit

Only in the mind of a space buff. Why would a future sentient
look into space for a sign of previous life on Earth?

Numerous notices of previous ancients have been found
on earth in the form of hundred million year old fossils.

I suspect a million years from now some posthuman
archeologist will have no problem stumbling over one
of our many land fills. I doubt he'll confuse a golf
ball or empty Disani bottle for a geological formation.

--

Rick Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"