Old June 26th 05, 07:46 PM
Henry Spencer

Brian Thorn wrote:
Well, once the Rocketdyne sale to UT/P&W goes through, there will only
be one source for heavy-lifter engines in the United States...

That's been true for a long time... partly thanks to NASA's long-standing
unwritten policy that all its big engines are built by Rocketdyne. (To
the point that for the SSME, NASA basically took technology developed by
P&W and gave it to Rocketdyne to build an engine with.)

I think the only other US company that has ever designed and built big
liquid rocket engines -- at least, ones that have made it to full
qualification and production -- is Aerojet, and they've been out of that
business for decades except for minor upgrades to the Titan engines.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |