Old December 28th 20, 06:19 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Daniel65

Default Is the Moon Supposed to "Cartwheel"?

Justin Tyme wrote on 28/12/2020 2:01 am:
By cartwheel, I mean appear to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise
throughout the course of the night? Or, is is supposed to appear
stationary from a fixed point on earth?

A fair question is "Why don't you go outside and look?" My answer is
that I have and while the first few times the moon seemed to stay in
place, the last few times I have looked it had, indeed, appeared to have
rotated 45 degrees or so clockwise over the course of several hours.

I would think that the Moon's Axis always points in the same Galactic
direction as the Earth's Axis. Sort of!! Give or take!!

So, at Moonrise, the Moon's Axis would, effectively, be lieing on the
Earth's Eastern Horizon with the Moon's North Pole pointing towards the
North.

At Moon noon, the Moon's Axis would be directly overhead, with the
Moon's North Pole pointing towards the North.

At Moonset, the Moon's Axis would, effectively, be lieing on the Earth's
Western Horizon with the Moon's North Pole pointing towards the North.
--
Daniel