Old October 2nd 12, 02:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

Default Atmospheric thickness (rewrite)

On 2012-09-30, W. eWatson wrote:
It seems what I'm after is misinterpreted. I was talking with a friend
about some variable star work he does at his domed observatory. Somehow
I asked him at what is the lowest elevation he surveys. He said 30
degrees, about two atmospheres of thickness. He then said," maybe near
the horizon, it's 47 thickness." That's what I'm looking for.

How many thickness of atmosphere will I see from zero to ninety degrees
above the horizon.

You want to look up "air mass" and "zenith distance".

Bud