Old March 12th 08, 07:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

Default Tomorrow's Monster Telescopes

In article ,
L D'Bonnie wrote:

If I understand correctly there is no theoretical maximum size,
that if you can build it bigger it will have more resolution.

If nothing else, at least the size of the universe ought to be a
theoretical maximum size of a telescope.... :-) ....perhaps some
people would consider that a practical rather than a theoretical
limit....

I suppose the answer to my question was partially answered in the
another article in the same magazine (p. 16) A Double Einstein
Ring. The galaxy SDSS J0946 is acting as a lens. All you would
have to do is to devise a way to reach out and focus it.

So it seem if professional astronomers actually do suffer from
aperture fever (or envy), there can be no cure for them. They are
doomed to be forever anticipating the construction of the next
larger telescope.

LdB

Indeed..... check out:

http://stjarnhimlen.se/bigtel/LargestTelescope.html