Old February 18th 21, 04:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Rocket Test Ranges open to the Public?

On 2/17/2021 1:51 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,

says...

My question is where to test it out. Is there an approved
range that allows ballistic flight paths?

Or maybe I should be winging it and launching somewhere
in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay?

No.

The second design is a 50 pound payload heavy lifter.
Think like the engine is a 1 foot diameter and 1 foot tall
cylinder with a safe fuel design.

You need to get in touch with a high power rocketry group. They usually
launch such things at meets where they get all the proper approvals
(e.g. FAA). If dim memory serves, I think Balls is the name of one of
the meets. Goggling...

Here we go:

Balls 29 Postponed due to COVID-19
http://www.tripoli.org/Balls29Postponed

Jeff

Agreed. BALLS events are usually held in Black Rock Nevada. The wide
open spaces of the desert southwest are your friend.

You should become of a member of the National Association of Rocketry
and if you are serious about this, pursue the high power rocketry
certifications they offer.

Some links:

https://www.nar.org/
http://www.tripoli.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-power_rocketry

Also for expert advice you can subscribe to the ARocket Mailing list he

https://www.freelists.org/list/arocket
http://www.arocketry.net/forum.html

Dave