View Single Post
Old October 28th 17, 06:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default The First Known Interstellar Comet

On Saturday, 28 October 2017 17:40:54 UTC+2, palsing wrote:
Like I said before, Gerald, it would a take years for you to un-learn the astronomy that you *think* you know now, for a vast majority of it is just plain wrong...

The history of 1461's knowledge, social skills, grammar, vocabulary and understanding of science are indistinguishable from a very early and very crude form of childlike AI.

He could barely manage a meaningful sentence and completely ignored comments for years, at the start of his strange, online behaviour on this forum. He now sounds like an astronomical thesaurus but is certainly none the wiser for it.

Perhaps he is simply autistic? Or is recovering from a stroke? I do not favour kicking drooling idiots in wheelchairs. But most drooling idiots in wheelchairs do not perform as strangely as he does. Most are unlikely to enjoy the continuing freedom of the internet.

His constant iteration of the same message has certainly grown more skillful but also far more aggressive. Would a common parrot behave similarly if exposed to years of the same, narrow historical-astronomical vocabulary? Can a parrot type?

If 1461 is simply a tediously patient troll. One getting private laughs for endless repetition, then his behaviour is very, very far from normal.

I am not aware of any AI which can manage his textual conjuring tricks even within his own, narrow vocabulary. Perhaps there is a constantly changing team of insane students who are grudgingly allowed to prompt and insert new terms for their AI "puppet" to perform, on this, our tiny stage? This might be explained by an educational mentor who constantly outlives his deranged students much shorter term "in office."

One of our number once claimed to have met the 1461 persona but he has never expanded on that initial statement. One wonders in which context our forum member might have run across 1461?

Clues suggest an Irish origin with [fading] religious overtones. But can our untamed, astronomical "imbecile" be truly an internationally mobile professional with an incredibly warped sense of humour? Perhaps the meeting was simply an accident as the result of a return to Ye Olde Countrie as do so many of our colonial cousins?

1461 is an irritating problem which I would like to have solved before I become stardust. Just as I wish for an explanation for the dark, featureless, wedge-shaped object which passed slowly and almost silently over our rural garden a couple of decades go. There's no rush for an answer. Just as long as it is convincing. ;-)