Old February 18th 10, 02:46 AM posted to us.military.army,sci.space.policy,sci.military.naval
Jonathan

Default The Battle for Marjah: US Must Win with Both Hands Tied Behind it's Back

"Arved Sandstrom" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message
"Jonathan" wrote in message

Legitimacy only flows from the people. Tell me, exactly
how do the Afghan people in and around Marjah feel about this
offensive?
That's easy. They'd like the very loud bangs to stop, please, right
now...

What makes you say that?
The Grand Ayatollah Sistani, who represents the majority of Iraq, didn't have
any problem with our campaign in Fallujah.

[ SNIP ]

But I'll bet that the people in Fallujah would have liked the very loud bangs
to stop, please, right now...

The reason Baghdad /every day/ had one 'very loud bang' after another is due
to the fact that just forty miles to the west lies a Sunni insurgent stronghold
called Fallujah. When a lawless city, like Fallujah, has as it's only export an
unending stream of car- bombs, dedicated to blowing up only crowded
market places full of women, and schools full of little girls, then NOT taking
over
Fallujah would be a crime against humanity.

The Ayatollah and the Iraqi govt constantly criticized us for not bringing
enough
troops to be able to stop the car and suicide bombings, mostly coming from
Fallujah, which accounted for roughly /half/ of all the ...Iraqi...casualites.

In December 2006, the city had become stable enough to return control back
to the Iraqi forces. Take a look at this chart and what happend ...after 2006.

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

I bet the same will be true for Marjah with the steadily increasing violence
in Afghanistan. It's the difference between winning or losing.
Not to mention getting rid of half the world's heroin crop.

AHS