Old June 12th 04, 05:12 PM
The Ruzicka Family

Default Minimum Number of Rocket Designs

"spacelearner" wrote in message
m...
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message

Shuttle is limited to one lauch and retreival site, Soyuz has numerous
launch sites and can land in many locations.

I do believe that the Shuttle has multiple landing sites. For one, there's
the alternate site in California. Then there's a number of abort landing
sites.

The soyuz launcher can launch payloads to heo or interplanetary
missions, whereas the shuttle is limited to the leo.

The Shuttle can indeed launch interplanetary missions, within certain size
restrictions. As an example, if I recall correctly, the Galileo mission was
launched from the Shuttle. It had to use, I think, two modified IUS motors
(or was it an IUS and Star) instead of the Centaur upper stage once planned
for the Shuttle, but nonetheless it got there.

The shuttle operates for weeks in space while soyuz can operate for
months if not more.

Not with people aboard continuously.