Old February 1st 19, 09:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Mercury transitions

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data...current_c3.gif

The satellite dispenses with any daily rotational effects so it can be presented purely on the basis of the transition from right to left of the Sun with its inherent meaning that Mercury is moving behind the Sun from our slower moving perspective.

From the surface of our rotating planet where the distance from observer to horizon acts like a sun visor, the transition of Mercury goes from a morning to evening appearance but won't be visible for a number of weeks yet.

As this is all new and Mercury rapidly goes through its orbital milestones, people should try to add to the perspective as though they took astronomy seriously, at least this form of astronomy. Nobody is held to their previous views so long as they take the more expansive view in an era which allows people to look towards the central Sun and all the planets as they appear close to the Sun's glare.