Old October 30th 03, 07:16 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default Marine Battery? Jump-Start Battery? Power Inverter?

"Russ" wrote in message
I'm looking for a portable power source for my LX90 and imaging equip.
I am not an electronics buff, and I am confused by all the different
posts that I have seen regarding this. In addition to the scope, I
want to power a video camera, monitor, & VCR. What kind of portable
power supply do I need? Do I need to be concerned with amps, volts,
watts, wobbelators, kenuten valves? AND, where does a power inverter
fit in to all this? Do I need one of those too?

The LX90 runs on 12 volts direct from the battery.

An inverter will give you 120 volts AC, probably needed by your video
camera, monitor, and VCR. It is inefficient. If possible you should find
12-volt-operated equipment instead.

Yes, you have to know about volts, amps, and watts. Briefly:

Volts are the pressure of the electrons. A power supply delivers a fixed
voltage (e.g., a 12-volt battery).

Amps are the rate at which electrons are actually flowing. A power supply
has a maximum number of amps that it can deliver. Connect it to something
that requires the same number of volts but fewer amps, and everything's
fine.

Watts are volts times amps -- a measure of the rate of energy consumption.
The maximum output of an inverter is often measured in watts rather than
volts.

Never ask an inverter or power supply to deliver more amps or watts than
it's rated for. Things will fry.

--
Michael Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com