Old September 24th 11, 08:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

Default Sadness

On Sep 23, 5:20*pm, "Val Kraut" wrote:
Space is just not profitable.

*Neither is welfare but it seems that's where the folks like Obama would
rather spend the nation's money. Somehow though the space pioneers faded
from public view after Apollo when their presence and support may have
brought us something more meaningful than the Space Shuttle and ISS that
became bottomless money pits without inspiring most of the population or
delivering on any of their promises.

And his replacement will only be concerned about the welfare
of the CEOs, the very rich, members of corporate boards, and the more
special
member of the American Chamber of Commerce. Space exploration
isn't on that list either except as pork sausage with lots of cereal
fillers.

For some it is greed and others it is the result of being too low
on Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

It is true there are always poor but there aren't always Depressions
and we may only be at 1929 as it stands. Or at the very best
sometime in the 1930s prior to the second dip. Perhaps the
next grand old party can reintroduce the policies of pre-war Dixie?
Or maybe "they" can retread the "final solution" or perhaps go
with the slogan "we only tax the poor and the working classes
so there will be fewer of them" or perhaps "the rich are worth
it so they deserve lower taxes".............oops they
already use that one or nearly so.

So the free market won't explore space? Maybe the great
state of Texas can do it with hot air balloons and faith based
propulsion systems.

I wonder if Mars has hydrocarbon deposits for exploitation?
Maybe we can get some global warming going on there?
Off to live in a rat hole on a rock in a near vacuum with the employer
controlling the air