Old August 12th 05, 05:10 AM
Allan Cole

Default History Channel: Apollo: The Race Against Time

It would have been something. If only man had really gone to the moon.

"rk" wrote in message
This came into the inbox today ...

-- rk

Readers of this listserv may be interested to know about this upcoming
program. Thanks to Roger Launius at the National Air and Space Museum
for relaying this information.

Apollo: The Race Against Time

The History Channel
Saturday, August 27 @ 8pm/7c

Centuries from now, people will look back at key moments during the
1960s and 70s, when 12 American astronauts first left planet Earth and
walked on the moon, as some of the most pivotal events in world history.
In Apollo: The Race Against Time, Save Our History host Steve Thomas
explores how significant artifacts of NASA's Apollo missions are being
restored and preserved.

In this one-hour special, we discover how the only remaining Saturn V
rocket that was specifically built to launch an Apollo mission is being
restored at Johnson Space Center in Houston; we find out how a lunar
rover test vehicle is restored at the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space
Center; we see how Apollo spacesuits, including the one worn by Apollo
11's Buzz Aldrin, are being carefully preserved at the National Air and
Space Museum.

In addition, Aldrin and astronaut Gene Cernan (the last man to walk on
the moon/Apollo 17), describe in exclusive interviews what it was like
to journey hundreds of thousands of miles through space and to walk on
the moon. And former Mission Director Gene Kranz takes us on a tour of
the original Mission Control, now a National Historic Landmark, and
brings to life some of the hairiest and most inspiring moments of the
Apollo Program.

--
rk, Just an OldEngineer
"These are highly complicated pieces of equipment almost as complicated as

We
don't know exactly how they work."
-- Scientist in Michael Crichton's 1973 movie, Westworld