Old May 2nd 17, 07:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default NASA Announces SLS/Orion Flight Slide

On 2017-05-01 21:13, Fred J. McCall wrote:

I assume you mean "ACES". Insufficient mobility. Insufficient
duration. You need to keep in mind what ACES was designed for.

And what is wrong with ACES for liftoff/landing ? Isn't "duration"
about the same for orbit insertion?

They're going around the Moon, you nitwit. It's an eight day mission.
You'd like to get them back if something goes wrong. This is an
experimental vehicle that has never flown in a fully integrated state,
much less had people on it.

ISS suits suffer from the same mobility problem and are too bulky to
be worn in Orion as 'capsule suits'.

For the planned Orion flighst around the moon and back, there would be
no mission needs to land, there would ne no mission requirement to test
suits. The EMUs would be there in case of a problem requiring an
unplanned emergency EVA. (undeployed solar panel for instance).

You don't have an airlock on Orion, so if you're going to EVA
*EVERYONE* needs a suit and they better last long enough to get you
home.

And those suits would be used in the very same was as they were in the
shuttle and ISS, to do an IVA in 0G space. Not on Mars, not on Moon, not
on Saturn or wherever NASA PR says Orion will take humans.

And what do the non-EVA troops breath? Vacuum? Where are you going
to put four EMUs in a four-man capsule?

In addition, WE DON'T HAVE ANY
SPARE ONES.

Every heard of using existing designs to make more? As I said in
you then have EMU suist that can be used on ISS.

Call up Ford and order a 1958 Edsel. I'll wait...

Yeah, we can do without life support, too. I mean, it's a short trip,
right? No reason why we might want to talk to them or they might want
to breath or stuff like that.

So ECLSS is also late ? The initial flights will have an Orion without
any ECLSS? is that what you're saying?

No, you dip****. I'm pointing out that being able to talk to the
****ing capsule is as important as having air. It being a 'short
trip' is irrelevant to that. You understand that when things happen
in flight it's the folks on the ground who find solutions, right?
Without communications, the guys on the ground who figure out
solutions don't know anything has gone wrong and can't tell the crew
what to do to try to fix it even if they did know.

After all these years and the ability to test on ISS in 0g, they still
don't have a working ECLSS system?

After all these years and the ability to test in real life, you still
don't have a brain?

territory."
--G. Behn