Old May 2nd 17, 01:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA Announces SLS/Orion Flight Slide

In article om,
says...

On 2017-05-01 06:12, Jeff Findley wrote:

Also, EMUs aren't a good choice at all for exploring planetary surfaces.
From a recent Aviation Week article on the subject:

Since Orion isn't gonna land on a planet other than Earth, the only use
for a spacesuit would be for an EVA in 0g during the weekend road trip
around the moon (without landing there).

Is Orion even designed to support EVAs? (think about all electronics
needing to be water cooled so they don't die when whole capsule is
drained of air so hatch can be opened.)

I believe it can, similar to the Apollo CM, but it would almost
certainly be easier to use a dedicated airlock.

If NASA is stalling first manned flight with "suits not ready" excuse,
it seems to me it is a fabricated excuse and there is another reason for
the delay which NASA doesn't want to reveal.

I don't think you understand the details of what's involved here.

Is it possible that NASA knows that SLS will never be man-rated due to
vibration from SRBs, or having such large tanks

That's b.s. SLS will almost certainly be as smooth, or smoother, to fly
on than the shuttle.

when such suits are clearly not needed for that flight, there there is
something else to the need for the delay.

The suits aren't the main reason for the delay. The problem is that the
thing just isn't ready to fly.

Is it possible NASA knows SLS is flawed and shouldn't be used for manned
flight? (vibration from SRBs etc?) is NASA hoping the project gets
cancelled before it has to fess up that it would kill humans?

You're repeating yourself. Are you high?

Or is there confidence that the SLS rocket would perform admirably to
carry humans ?

It's never been test flown, so time will tell.

Jeff