Old December 11th 13, 09:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

Default Lidl Zoom Binos

On 03/12/2013 09:44, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/12/2013 09:30, fred wrote:
On Monday, December 2, 2013 6:13:53 PM UTC, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
I see these are in the UK stores today, next week for the Irish ones.

Anybody got them yet, and are they any good? I've had good results
from their previous Bressler (re-badged Meade, iirc) 10x50 sets.

url:http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-AF...Detail&id=7806

Well 10x is regarded as the max magnification for comfort any sort of
prolonged use. 30x is going to be a real bitch to hold on target
especially considering the field of view

They are astonishingly cheap for 60mm objectives. I'd say upto 15x was
hand holdable territory - anything above that and it is quite hard to
hold them steady without leaning on something or using a tripod.

I had a look at a pair in Lidl last weekend and they are certainly not
at all bad for the price. At least the pair I sampled were sort of OK.

Some false colour towards the edge of field and any magnification above
15x was essentially empty (ie bigger and blurrier with no more detail).
But there were no obvious headache inducing mismatches of magnification
or image alignment on them. So not a bad buy for a first pair.

I can well believe that some are more equal than others - there can be
any margin for QC checking at that price point!

There was a little zoom spotting scope refractor there too - also not
too shabby and suitable as a child's first telescope.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown