Old July 20th 03, 09:23 PM
Axel

Default Lasik - pros and cons ?

I didn't see any threads already discussing this subject, so I ask:
Does anyone know of any absolute pros or cons regarding Lasik vision
correction where stargazing is concerned ?

I'm not sure if the surgery has improved, but it used to be that
they'd only correct part of the lens. At night your pupil would open
up enough to allow the uncorrected part of the lens to be exposed.
Thus a lot of people would get a mixture of corrected and uncorrected
vision, causing halos and other artifacts around bright point sources.
Most of the people I know who had this done are quite pleased with
the results (even though a couple of them mentioned halos etc.), but
they're not astronomers! Since proper night vision is so important to
this hobby, I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

Ritesh