Old September 16th 19, 11:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default James Webb Space Telescope vs SLS

In article ,
says...

On 2019-09-15 20:13, Torbjorn Lindgren wrote:
There's been some recent attempts to try to move this to a

commercial
launcher instead to save (lots of) money with predictable blow-back
from the senate proponents for SLS.

What difference would it make? They have limited number of SLS flights,
so if one doesn't do the Europa Clipper, it will be used for another
type of unmanned test flight and the same amout of pork $ will be spent.

NASA inspector general asks Congress for Europa Clipper launch
flexibility by Jeff Foust - August 28, 2019
https://spacenews.com/nasa-inspector...ss-for-europa-
clipper-launch-flexibility/

From above:

NASA's inspector general says the agency could save nearly $1
billion if Congress gives it the ability to choose the best
launch vehicle for a mission to Jupiter's moon Europa, rather
than mandating the use of the Space Launch System.

So, the difference is that by using a commercial launch vehicle, the US
taxpayer would save nearly $1 billion. And it would eliminate the
schedule uncertainty inherent with an SLS launch (considering this
Administration's emphasis on Artemis, which "needs" SLS).

Jeff