Old September 15th 19, 03:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default James Webb Space Telescope vs SLS

In article ,
says...

On 2019-09-13 20:21, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

SLS's job, even if it flies will be done cheaper by other methods.
There's far less pressure on it to fly I think.

I had been given the impression that one of the SLS flights would be
dedicated to launching something not related to going to the Moon and
that it was the telescope.

This is only partially correct. SLS might be launching the Europa
Clipper. But with the new emphasis on the Artemis program, my guess is
Europa Clipper will be launched on something else (like a Falcon Heavy
with a solid kick stage).

Yet, james Web was "assigned" to Arianne 5 in 2015, so there wouldn't
have been any recent discussions of it going on SLS.

That's because James Webb Space Telescope will be launched on an Ariane
5. The program is so expensive, NASA cut a deal with ESA to launch it,
no doubt in exchange for observation time on the telescope.

parity error in my memory? or is SLS still planned to use one of its
limited rockets to launch a scientific payload to somewhere?

Europa Clipper, not JWST.

Jeff