Old September 14th 19, 01:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default James Webb Space Telescope vs SLS

"Alain Fournier" wrote in message ...

Both the James Webb Space Telescope and SLS are scheduled for 2021. I think
that SLS has a higher likelihood of schedule slip than JWST because the
purpose of that telescope is to do science and it can't do that science
while on the ground. On the other hand the purpose of SLS seems to be to
save jobs, and it can very well do that with schedule slips.

But maybe that is only bias on my part. What do you people think? I haven't
really kept tabs on science mission schedule slips at NASA. Are they
common?

Alain Fournier

JWST will fly before SLS. It's finally at the point where it's basically
flyable.
And as you said, it's job is to do science, so launching it lets it do its
job.

SLS's job, even if it flies will be done cheaper by other methods.
There's far less pressure on it to fly I think.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/