Old March 4th 05, 04:25 AM
Jorge R. Frank

h (Rand Simberg) wrote in
:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:48:28 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
(Eric Chomko) made the phosphor on my

: Yup. Instituted during the Clinton administration (by
: Shalikashvili, I believe) with much unhappiness from the Special
: Forces. The idea was to make everyone feel "special."
:
: And none of the regular Army I've talked to are very happy with
: their new headgear either.

: There was also the little issue that they ended up being
: manufactured in China...

But isn't China our most favored nation WRT trade?

No. Apparently you're as ignorant of the meaning of the phrase "most
favored nation."

Who did THAT?

I neither know, nor care.

Carter, 1980.

http://www.fas.org/man/crs/92-094.htm

"After having been suspended in 1951, MFN status was restored to China in
1980 conditionally under the Jackson-Vanik freedom-of-emigration amendment
of the Trade Act of 1974 and must be renewed annually."

"In accordance with this procedure, the President, on October 23, 1979,
transmitted to Congress the trade agreement with China, signed on July 7,
1979, its proclamation, and the executive order extending to China the
Jackson-Vanik waiver (H.Doc. 96-209). The agreement was approved by
Congress on January 24, 1980 (H.Con.Res. 204, 96th Congress) and entered
into force (together with the reciprocal grant of the MFN status which it
contains in addition to all other provisions required by section 405(b) of
the Trade Act of 1974) on February 1, 1980."

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.