Old November 7th 03, 10:50 PM
Alan Erskine

Default Russian Super Rocket

"Rod Stevenson" wrote in message
I was lucky enough to help host a visit by two members of the Russian

Space
program. They spent the day with 600 Norfolk school children. One of the
visitors was Alexander Martynov ex-head of Ballistics Department. He

talked
about the Russian plans to mount a manned mission to Mars in 2025-2035.

They
are planning to use a rocket called 'Energia' which will have a 200 TON
payload capacity. Later I aasked him for more detail but he said that he
could not give further details.
Does anyone else have an information about this rocket?
The idea of it is awe inspiring. A Saturn V could lift 118,000Kg to LEO
which I make 115 tons. Translunar capacity was 47,000kg = 46 tons. How big
will this thing be?

Rod Stevenson

(posting from sci.space.history)

Do a web search for "Energia" and see what you come up with. One of the
links you'll get will be for Encyclopaedia Astronautica
(www.astronautix.com) go there and click on the link titled "rockets"; you
will find a link to Energia.

I might add that the Russian's aren't "planning" a mission to Mars (or
anywhere else with the state of their economy), but are instead dreaming.

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Iraq, America's new Vietnam