Old July 8th 03, 05:10 AM
Doug...

Default [UPDATE] Photos of RCC hole made during 7/7/03 test now online

In article ,
says...
OM wrote:

...From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

...Tom Wheeler take note: Now *that* is a hole.

OM

Wouldn't a hole this big cause a noticeable trajectory anomoly on ascent?

Well, from what I understand, the actual damage to Columbia was probably
more like 6-10 inches in its greatest dimension, and possibly much
smaller in its smallest dimension. (This comes from the analysis of the
internal heating that I've seen referenced -- it would seem to indicate a
breach of the above-stated size.)

Now, at 81 seconds, you're well past maximum aerodynamic pressure and the
air is thinning rapidly. I doubt that a hole the size that was likely
created would have caused any detectable trajectory deviations. (Of
course, I'm just speaking from a gestalt sense, there are engineers here
who can give you a much more authoritative answer.)

--

It's not the pace of life I mind; | Doug Van Dorn
it's the sudden stop at the end... |