Old July 8th 03, 01:24 AM
Doug...

Default [UPDATE] Photos of RCC hole made during 7/7/03 test now online

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:41:56 -0600, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

...From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

...Tom Wheeler take note: Now *that* is a hole.

OM

When the foam problem is solved, there still might be a question of
bird strikes.

If a 1.5-lb piece of foam going 500-mph does this kind of damage, what
would a 3-lb to 7-lb bird struck at 200-mph or 300-mph do? KSC is a
wildlife refuge. They've never hit one yet, but there's always a first
time.

I don't think *any* manned spacecraft has ever hit a bird upon launch
(although I could be wrong). They tend to flee the noise and vibration.
And by the time the vehicle is moving at significant speed, you're above
the flight level of a majority of the birds in the area, I would think...

Yes, it's still something of a risk, but doesn't seem to be as big a risk
as foam shedding from the ET.

--

It's not the pace of life I mind; | Doug Van Dorn
it's the sudden stop at the end... |