Old July 4th 17, 02:23 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Gone quiet here

In article ,
says...

One of the things I find hard are the new lamps for old object orientated
basis of many of them. The fact of the matter is that objects are just multi
dimensioned arrays with various differently specified elements.

That's merely the beginning of what object oriented encompasses. Yes,
object oriented puts behavior (virtual function tables) where it
belongs, conceptually on the objects themselves. But, it's far more
than that. OO is the foundation of modern interface driven software
design. Polymorphism, multiple inheritance, and memory management of
these objects are also key features of the language. Add other bits
like the C++ Standard Template Library and you've got yourself a
powerful language.

Most all of what I've written over the last 20+ years is OO implemented
in C++. Done the right way, it's easy to maintain and extend. Roles
and responsibilities can be clearly assigned to various classes. So
when a bug pops up or an extension needs to be made, it's clear what
needs to be "touched". This is simply not as easy to do with procedural
code, which tends to evolve into "spaghetti code" over the years and any
change tends to involve "touches" all over the system making it brittle.

I suppose its easier to use object than arrays as you do not need to
remember abstract addresses of the various dimensions and coordinates of the
data inside.

That and so much more. OO languages add constructors and destructors so
that initialization and clean-up are *always* performed. It's too easy
to miss stuff like that in a procedural language.

Jeff