Old January 30th 07, 01:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Looking into the past with a telescope

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:24:14 -0800 (PST), (Brian Tung)
wrote:

Chris L Peterson wrote:
The Universe is almost certainly much bigger than 13 billion ly in
"diameter" (I use that term loosely, because I don't think the Universe
is a 3D construct).

You don't need the universe to be three-dimensional to use "diameter"
rigorously. It just has to have a consistent metric; the diameter is
then simply the greatest distance between any two points.

I know. I just wanted it to be clear to some that by using "diameter" I
wasn't presuming the Universe to be a sphere, and I was too lazy to
attempt a more rigorous explanation.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com