Old January 28th 07, 10:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

Default Looking into the past with a telescope

On Jan 28, 7:04 pm, (Brian Tung) wrote:
Steve Paul wrote:
Uh oh... I'm getting in way over my head here..

What is "stuff", if not matter and energy?Space-time.

"There are really four dimensions, three which we call the three
planes of Space, and a fourth, Time. There is, however, a tendency to
draw an unreal distinction between the former three dimensions and the
latter, "

http://www.bartleby.com/1000/1.html

That statement could be found in any science fiction section of a
bookstore in 1898.

This following statement is found on a Nasa website and a billion
dollar satellite sent to prove it -

"What does the word 'spacetime' mean? (Question 42) -

It means that in our universe, 3-dimensional space and time form a
single indivisible new physical object which has 4 dimensions. All
physical laws and phenomena seem to require thinking about space and
time as this blended object. That's what Einstein's relativity
theories
were all about. "

http://einstein.stanford.edu/

Now how a science fiction novel morphed into a cheerfully believable
concept promoted as a 'supreme human achievement should frighten the
life out of genuine people into taking action but unfortunately that
has not happened yet.

If you really want to believe that if you travel real fast that the
universe will change for you then go for it but does there really need
to be so many people who believe this exotic fantasy.

--
Brian Tung
The Astronomy Corner athttp://astro.isi.edu/