Old January 28th 07, 09:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

Default Looking into the past with a telescope

On Jan 28, 8:44 pm, "Greg Neill" wrote:
"Davoud" wrote in ...
I can think of no reason why the Universe can't have a central region
in three-dimensional space if the Big Bang theory is correct.If the BB is correct, then every place in the 3D universe was

once co-located with the center. So there is no unique place
that one can call The Center, since every place equally
fulfills the role.

I love all this fuss.

"If we ponder over the question as to how the universe, considered as
a whole, is to be regarded, the first answer that suggests itself to
us is surely this: As regards space (and time) the universe is
infinite. There are stars everywhere, so that the density of matter,
although very variable in detail, is nevertheless on the average
everywhere the same. In other words: However far we might travel
through space, we should find everywhere an attenuated swarm of fixed
stars of approximately the same kind and density."

http://www.bartleby.com/173/30.html

Does anybody realise that when that was written in 1920, the
observational /magnification guys still had to discover stellar
galactic islands.

The next paragraph makes the whole thing hilarious,as least for this
astronomer -

"This view is not in harmony with the theory of Newton. The latter
theory rather requires that the universe should have a kind of centre
in which the density of the stars is a maximum, and that as we proceed
outwards from this centre the group-density of the stars should
diminish, until finally, at great distances, it is succeeded by an
infinite region of emptiness. The stellar universe ought to be a
finite island in the infinite ocean of space."

Even now it is still just too funny and that all this fuss about
expanding balloons and whatnot,the theoretical freaks and the
magnification guys just turned swarm of stars to swarm of galaxies and
kept right on going as if nothing happened.

Keep on talking,I love this stuff